Monday, January 27, 2014

2 years! And I have something to say to my fellow cripples!

Two years heroin free!

A shit ton has changed over the years. I'm not the person I was. That is a great thing.

I read an article about 10 things not to say to someone in a wheelchair.  I understand their point of view. But seriously QUIT BEING SO FUCKING SENSITIVE!!! There are people that don't know what to say, or do. Why be an asshole that makes the people trying to be nice feel like an asshole. Understand that being in a chair, DOES NOT DEFINE YOU!

Yes, life in a wheelchair is frustrating and difficult, but why give able bodied people a bad taste in their mouths? Doesn't it feel better when you come away from a conversation knowing that you changed the perception of the disabled?

I'm told quite often that I'm an inspiration. That is a great thing no matter which way you  slice it.  Why be told something positive, turn around and be a douche to someone that means well?  So what if it means if they were you, they'd never leave the house?  Are you kidding me? Just think if it would happen to them, they could remember you living your life trying to be normal.  Be the example!

Now, I hate the tiptoeing around the fact that I'm in a wheelchair. I surround myself around people that don't really acknowledge that I'm in the chair.  Yes they know if I need help, I'll ask. When a stranger goes out of their way, even if it's something I can do, if I don't ask, and they help anyway, I'll just politely thank them. Let them feel good about it, simple.

Yes I do call myself a cripple. It's just a word if you don't give it meaning. I say I'm a cripple or I'm fucked up, I fucking hate handicapped or handi-capable. Seriously, call me that, and I do tend to get mean.  The "politically correct" terms are insulting.  If you quit being so damn sensitive it WILL make interacting with able bodied people less awkward.

And if you do encounter that rare asshole that is rude and really genuinely just a dick, by all means, treat them the way they treat you.  I'm infamous for if I catch you staring, and don't have the balls or decency to approach me, I'll make faces, occasionally drool on myself. I'll sometimes say out loud, "It's okay to stare, because I'm the coolest cripple you'll ever meet." Staring makes me insecure, so it is MY responsibility to handle it.  I can't carry a flashing neon sign that says, "don't stare at the cripple ."

Seriously it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to let society affect you or not.  YOU can choose to be a sensitive cry baby or own the fact that you are in the chair.  I've chose to rock at life, not feel sorry for myself, and not punish others for my misfortunes.


2 comments:

  1. love it. oh and we all have always been the dorks. your chair DOES NOT change that. bad shit happens to people for a reason. it their choice whether to just live with the outcome or rock it. and girl you ROCK THAT SHIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete